Sunday, 25 September 2011

The "One Thing" #13

True - I like to think that I can multitask, that I can take on many projects at once ans still find the time to maintain a steady drip of incoming backlinks and fresh content.

Fact - I can't.

This "One Thing" is doing 
One Thing at a time...

One of the methods I use involves opening multiple windows (one per task) and opening as many tabs as needed for each task. This let's me pace myself.
  • I can focus on one job at a time.
  • I do not close or visit other windows until the task is finished.
  • If I need to run out for half hour, I know exactly what I was doing when I get back.
  • I work faster, with less distraction and less interruptions.
Thinking back to yesterdays "One Thing" (about solving your own problems then selling the solution) I know that I'm not the only one who has faced this problem. I think it was called the Dark Room - an application for content writers (I'm afraid the concept stuck and the name didn't) which turned web pages into nothing but a black screen with green writing. No ad's, no sizes or fancy colours or bold fonts to be distracted by. Writers could go into the dark room, get everything out if their head and onto the screen then the "shiny things" - the fancy fonts - could be added later.

Great concept. And I mention it today because of the underlying principle behind it. One window, no distractions, just you and the screen. That is the way I try to work. And that's how you should work too.

You know I'm a fan of having a checklist of daily tasks. Especially if you can prioritize that list and have your most important tasks first then you are going to see a huge improvement in the amount of work you accomplish each day.

BONUS - Another work smarter not harder method (that analogy is a little misleading, isn't it?) is to work it fits and bursts of whatever action you need to do. For example, if you limited yourself to 15 minutes of making comments (backlinks) then took a 5min break, you'll also get more done. Just like when your laptop tells you that you only have 8min of power left in your battery before it will need charging...and you find yourself speed writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment